HostBridge Base XML Engine
XML Automation & Integration for CICS and z Systems
As soon as it is installed under CICS®, the HostBridge Base XML Engine immediately and automatically converts CICS transactions to XML, rendering CICS ready for integration with any distributed resource, including Web and mobile applications, service-oriented architectures (SOA), cloud architectures, and other enterprise applications.
HostBridge Base XML Features
HostBridge exploits CICS and z Systems tools and technologies, including the Link3270 Bridge, as well as industry-standard transports, protocols, and languages to enable mainframe integration with the highest performance, reliability, and fidelity.
- SOAP/REST Support: SOAP/REST support integrates CICS applications as formal or informal web services, enabling applications to invoke CICS transactions as web services in both loosely coupled and tightly coupled systems. Learn more on our CICS Web Services solutions page.
- HTTP Interface: Distributed applications can invoke CICS applications directly using HTTP requests over TCP/IP. Any application capable of sending a URL and receiving an XML document can access CICS data. This standard approach maximizes integration flexibility.
- LINK Interface (ECI/EXCI): Mainframe applications with existing COMMAREA interfaces can utilize HostBridge’s XML output abilities.
- Standards-Based: Developers can integrate CICS transactions as Web services with their existing knowledge, lowering development time and costs.
- Security: HostBridge works securely with and within IBM-provided components supporting standard mainframe security systems such as RACF, ACF/2, and TopSecret. HostBridge also supports SSL and digital certificates, and IP address host name inclusion/exclusion lists.
HostBridge delivers the highest-performance integration for CICS and z/OS mainframe resources. HostBridge Base and all HostBridge components run on the mainframe (with the exception of WIRE, our .NET-based web presentation product). As such, HostBridge performs as a mainframe application.
Other solutions, specifically middle-tier products, require a full network transit and request-response cycle between distributed system and mainframe to execute every transaction, resulting in request/response latency, slower response times, and higher mainframe CPU demands. In high-volume environments, these differences will be significant and will directly impact the speed and efficiency of business processes.
HostBridge also ensures high reliability. Where screen-scraper products rely on row/column coordinates to rigidly “map” mainframe output to distributed systems, HostBridge uses screen and field names as metadata to control interactions and remote presentation. Whenever changes to applications alter screen locations, screen scrapers can no longer map fields to target applications, resulting in integration errors and failures. With HostBridge, changes to applications or row/column locations have no effect on output or integrations.
HostBridge for zIIP
With the release of HostBridge v6.5, customers also have the option of running HostBridge on the IBM z Integrated Information Processor (zIIP). Learn more on our HostBridge for zIIP page.